How to crack the Azure AZ-900 exam in 7 days – Part 2 [Understand core Azure services (30-35%)]
SyllabusClick here for Syllabus
Describe some of the core products available in Azure
- Describe products available for Compute such as Virtual Machines, Virtual Machine Scale Sets, App Service Functions, Azure Container Instances (ACI) and Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
- Describe products available for Networking such as Virtual Network, Load Balancer, VPN Gateway, Application Gateway and Content Delivery Network
- Describe products available for Storage such as Blob Storage, Disk Storage, File Storage, and Archive Storage
- Describe products available for Databases such as Cosmos DB, Azure SQL Database, Azure Database for MySQL, Azure Database for PostgreSQL, Azure Database Migration service
- Describe the Azure Marketplace and its usage scenarios
There are four common techniques for performing compute in Azure:
1) Virtual machines
3) Azure App Service
4) Serverless computing
1) Virtual machines, or VMs is software copy of physical computers. They include a virtual processor, memory, storage, and networking resources. They host an operating system (OS).
Azure Virtual Machines:- VMs are an ideal choice when you need:
- Total control over the operating system (OS)
- The ability to run custom software, or
- To use custom hosting configurations
Availability sets :- An availability set is a logical grouping of two or more VMs that help keep your application available during planned or unplanned maintenance.
Virtual Machine Scale Set:- Azure Virtual Machine Scale Sets let you create and manage a group of identical, load balanced VMs.
- Scale sets allow you to centrally manage, configure, and update a large number of VMs in minutes to provide highly available applications.
- The number of VM instances can automatically increase or decrease in response to demand or a defined schedule.
- With Virtual Machine Scale Sets, you can build large-scale services for areas such as compute, big data, and container workloads.
Azure Batch:- Azure Batch enables large-scale job scheduling and compute management with the ability to scale to tens, hundreds, or thousands of VM
Batch does :-
- Starts a pool of compute VMs for you
- Installs applications and staging data
- Runs jobs with as many tasks as you have
- Identifies failures
- Requeues work
- Scales down the pool as work completes
Azure supports Docker containers (a standardized container model), and there are several ways to manage containers in Azure:-
1) Azure Container Instances (ACI) – Azure Container Instances (ACI) offers the fastest and simplest way to run a container in Azure.
** You don’t have to manage any virtual machines or configure any additional services.
** It is a PaaS offering that allows you to upload your containers and execute them directly with automatic elastic scale.
2) Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS) – The task of automating, managing, and interacting with a large number of containers is known as orchestration.
** AKS is a complete orchestration service for containers with distributed architectures with multiple containers.
2) Containers are a virtualization environment for running applications just like virtual machines, containers are run on top of a host operating system.
Important Points for Containers :-
** Containers don’t include an operating system for the apps running inside the container.
** Containers bundle the libraries and components needed to run the application and use the existing host OS running the container
3) Azure App Service is a platform-as-a-service (PaaS) , Azure that is designed to host enterprise-grade web-oriented applications.
Important Points for Azure App Service :-
** It enables you to build and host web apps, background jobs, mobile backends, and RESTful APIs in the programming language of your choice without managing infrastructure.
** It offers automatic scaling and high availability. App Service supports both Windows and Linux, and enables automated deployments from GitHub, Azure DevOps, or any Git repo to support a continuous deployment model.
Common web app styles supported by Web Apps:-
1) Web Apps
2) API Apps
4) Mobile Apps
4) Serverless computing is a cloud-hosted execution environment that runs your code but completely abstracts the underlying hosting environment.
Important Points for Azure Serverless Computing :-
** Serverless computing is the abstraction of servers, infrastructure, and OSs.
** Azure takes care of managing the server infrastructure and allocation/deallocation of resources based on demand
Azure has two implementations of serverless compute:
1) Azure Functions, which can execute code in almost any modern language.
2) Azure Logic Apps, which are designed in a web-based designer and can execute logic triggered by Azure services without writing any code.